In a recent blog post, Fitness Training for Businesses , I emphasized the need to focus on the whole model of your business to ensure long-term success.
I raised five concerns, and want to explore the fourth concern a bit deeper:
How about the balance between qualitative and quantitative actions and the understanding of how these actions support each other mutually?
The financial statements, as a matter of fact all measurable results, are always and I repeat always, only end results. No sale results from only one action and simple solo efforts. Just as no customer ever shows up at your door asking to deposit money into your bank account in exchange for a product or service. Something had to have happened before that event.
Encourage your team that produces visible results to recognize who got them there in the first place. Every person in an organization should be integrated into a series of internal customer-supplier relationships. Do your team members know who they serve, and why, and how their needs can best be met?
Let’s pretend that every team member has to sell their services to other team members:
- Would their internal customers be happy with what they do?
- Would the internal customers be satisfied with their work quality and the value they provide?
- How about the attitude with which they do it? Will they come back for more because they want to, or have to, or really have no other choice?
- How well do team members understand the needs of their internal customers?
- Does every team member understand that they are always providing customer service?
The understanding to start this process will at first require a deep and future-focused understanding of the overall purpose of the business or organization. Thereafter, discussion need to be had vertically and horizontally until every individual understands the ‘why’ of their role within the business model.
If you are a leader, or a Board member, or CEO, it starts with you. Yes, there will be apprehension. Yes, some feathers may be ruffled. But imagine how it will empower every individual to excel personally and the benefit for the organization.
Contact me if you want to discuss this further.